Friday, May 01, 2009

SPEAKING OF MIRACLES .....

For a long time I have this psychological hurdle with pastries and desserts, in part due to (1) reluctance to deal with recipes because every gram must be measured to get the simpliest product right; but more importantly (2) fear that I might screw up. This is why I consciously enroled in Patisserie as well, to rid myself from all excuses so I can address my 'issues' head on. I am happy to report LCB managed to change me within 48 hours.

We have the fortune of 3 wonderful Chefs/Lecturers/Mentors ie an Aussie Michael Jamison from Sydney, a Belgian Didier Lonnade from Brussels, and of course, a Frenchman Olivier Levanti from the South of France .... where else! All of them have industry know-how internationally before coming to teach here, and they are all 'much younger' than me. They put me through the paces and quickly secured the safety net so I can walk from one side of the tightrope to the other, just like the circus. It is magic. Patisserie is, without any question, a tough discipline. It requires immense doses of discipline and alertness as we prepare the goodies. Do not get me wrong, I know I am very, very far from being competent but one thing I know, the initial fear has been tempered somewhat. I feel slightly less uncomfortable now (which does not mean I am comfortable) thanks to the wonderful faculty. I like to think I am ready to meet the challenges.

In addition to Plain Creamed Scones using the Creaming Method yesterday, I learned today the recipes for Fruit Scones (raisins & sultanas) with the Rub-In Method; Madeleines ie small moist sponge cakes; and lastly Financiers or Friands, shown in the picture from the bottom up. I passed, again. My products 'are presentable, taste good, even though the Madeleines are a bit dry in the center' ie probably not enough liquid. Imagine these words from a rated chef to a 'chicken' like me?

NOW .... for the real miracle, which has nothing to do with me .... my 88 year old Mother, affectionately known simply as GM or Grandma to us all, made a comment on my blog today. It is her first ever attempt to use the computer, courtesy of coaching from Lilian & Joe at their home. I am speechless. All I can say is, if GM can use the internet at 88, why can't I bake at 60!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mr. T, what's cookin? It is nice to see you are smiling and well. I am happy to be able to share your experience through your blog. Andrea definitely gets her rebellious side from you, whenever we cook together I like to follow the recipe by the book, she on the other hand loves to improvise throughout the process, but in the end it always seems to turn out fine. We miss your laugh, see you soon. J

    ReplyDelete