Wednesday, May 20, 2009

MY FIRST SOUFFLE

Another line crossed today. Who in any of your wildest dreams would think that I can make one of these? It did not exactly 'puffed up' in the best sense of that sacred French vocabulary but it looks decent, does it not? It was a savory, a cheddar & parmesan souffle that in fact requires 'the whole 9-yards' of Bechamel, egg yolks, egg white, folding etc etc Mine was the next to last presentation, I was literally seconds away from closing. The choice was either a better cooked product with no grades, or an unevenly cooked product with grades. It is the classic 'damn if you do & damn if you don't scenario'. I picked the latter and the verdict, ' .... not cooked in the centre, but it has the potential of a good souffle though ....' which means thumbs down. While efforts are sometimes recognized here, at the end it is the result that counts. My offspring may look & smell like the genuine article but it is merely a poseur! Knowing what I know now I will, one day, produce the perfect souffle. I beg your patience.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: