Thursday, May 14, 2009

MY FIRST CHICKEN

Question : how do you cut a Size 15 ie 1.5 kg chicken, head & giblets already removed, into 10 peices for dinner service? My answer : with profuse sweating. Sharpening my chef's & boning knives is scary enough, even before I started. I made a secret pledge to not cut or burn myself during these 10-weeks, which Billy Chen will say : no way! In the hands of the Chef, it all look easy, almost matter of fact and after the unceremonial dismemberment of the 3rd chook we were sent back to our benches. Now what? First thing first, take out the Wishbone. All of us watched with amazement how the Chef managed it like magic, a crisp tuck of his fingers. When it is our turn it is a different story. Believe it or not some of us were looking for the Wishbone at the wrong end of the carcass. Sorry Chef! Then there is the Needle Bone alongside the main bone of the drum-stick, next to the phone cable like tendons. Try that for size. I managed to mess up even a straight forward piece of white meat, the chicken breast by filleting it verses cutting through the soft bone. Like a primary student I then tried to blame it on my boning knife being new & too sharp, but he did not bite. Finally it was done, as shown, after a lot of moaning & groaning. I cut up the chicken alright, but not myself ... touch wood!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment