Sunday, May 31, 2009

NYC - NY

I learned these abbreviations in 1968, as a Freshman at Tufts, when I was sending letters (no Email or SMS then) to friends in the Big Apple. NYC is New York City & NY was New York State. Fast forward 41 years, these 5 alphabets carry different meanings altogether, as they appropriately describe my very existence @ LCB.

'Raymond, have you strained the sauce?' Not Yet, Chef! 'Is the souffle in the oven?' Not Yet, Chef! 'What about the salmon, is it cooked?' Not Yet Chef!

For now, NYC is 'Not Yet Chef' & NY is, of course, 'Not Yet'. If you think this is funny, please don't, it is not. Let me tell you why.

LCB competence assessment is categorized as follows :

CD = 90-100% Competent with Distinction
CM = 70-89% Competent with Merit
C = 50-69% Competent
NYC = 00-49% Not Yet Competent ***HELLO, I am here ***
WD = Withdrawn

So ... I told the Patisserie Chefs I gave myself a new nickname. Call me New York or New York City which stands for 'Not Yet', 'Not Yet Chef' & in the worst case scenario 'Not Yet Competent'. Chef Olivier thought it is funny, asked me the other day 'Raymond, are you still in New York City or are you closer to Australia today?' I told him I was en-route. somewhere between Tokyo & Sydney, I will be here soon. It was even more embarrassing when Chef Michael, who reads my blog, asked ' ... so how is TangCanCook doing today?' Talk about a 'red face'!

No comments:

Post a Comment