Friday, May 15, 2009

MY CRUSTY & SOFT ROLLS

The Bread Journey continues today, I managed to produce a whole rack of look-alikes after some major sweating as we had to use our hands to prepare the dough ... 'to get a feel of the real thing'. Bread is no joke and while everyone is proud of their presentations I am sure it will be quite a different world when we get home. LCB offers a state-of-the-art commercial bakery to people who had never made bread. It is like giving a Porsche to someone who just passed the road test. These ovens can make everyone look smart, just look at mine. To quote Andrea when I asked her to prepare dessert for a dinner party at home ' ... your fridge is not cold enough & your oven is not hot enough, what can I do?' I see her point now. I am so pitiful my oven at home collapsed almost a year ago, I have not replaced it yet! Even with half-recipes today I ended up with almost 50 rolls. My friends at hotel reception, housekeeping, the Lebanese family at the coffee shop across the street and of course the Kim family at my laundromat all benefitted. Not a single roll is wasted. I love the crusties even though they did not come out as well as the softies. I also did not have enough time to be creative so most of mine are simply, round, without the gyrations the kids come up with. The best I could muster was colorful garnish from poppy & carraway seeds, black & white sesame, herbs, pearl sugar, polenta, and semolina ie the fine white bits that make pizza dough nicely crispy. All I can say is, I tried.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Looking fwd to home-made bread and rolls when you are back!! one of my favorite smell is the smell of freshly baked bread!

    ReplyDelete