Sunday, May 03, 2009

KIM FAMILY

Meet Mrs Kim & her son Tony, my new pals, and my saviour. Yes, they are Koreans and a truly wonderful family that one can only find in small towns. As you know my biggest concern, apart from not following recipes, is managing my laundry. I have not washed anything since college and I am not about to do anything different, if I can help it. Everyone thought it is funny but it is not, especially if one has to contend with 6 full days a week. By sheer luck, the Kims appear! They run an immaculate small shop in the village, I found them and struck up a quick friendship. Her products, especially my kitchen whites, are immaculate ... them Chinese & their laundries can step aside. Mom & Dad are middle age (clearly younger than me) who only have a splattering of English while their teenage kids are as Aussie as they come, totally acculturated after emigrating here just 5 years ago. Another example of parents doing whatever it takes so their children can be 'better off', whatever that means. There must be so many similar stories across so many cultures around Sydney ... around the world for that matter ... the sacrifice one generation makes, for the sake of the next, is awe inspiring. Dora and I faced that but did not have the final courage to do it, back in 1997. I admire the Kims and their warm story, but the key is, even the blind can see they are 'happy together'. Our budding relationship will grow in the next 10-weeks, and beyond, I hope.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Good on you that you've found the solution to your concern. Guess now you'll have to work harder on your baking and desserts.... Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete