Sunday, May 03, 2009

MEADOWBANK WATER FOUNTAIN

This little village community I live in has interesting and lovely history. Being the new boy on the block I readily notice them. I am sure there are thousands of similar items in HK that we do not know, or want to know, let alone discover. This is another of my retirement mission, 'To Rediscover My Home, Hong Kong'. This special monument is at the half way mark between my motel and the village of Meadowbank/Shephard's Bay, a 20 minute walk. It was set up in memory of one Thomas White, Works Manager @ Meadowbank Manufacturing Works who retired in 1909 but died in 1910. Imagine that, one year after working all his life, poor chap! People worked for him obviously loved him enough to set up the memorial at an idyllic junction. The Meadowbank Technical TAFE students revived the fountain in 1988 when Australia celebrated its Bicentennial, all very meaningful. I take 20 gulps from it every time I pass it. The water is always cool, refreshing, & tasty. Thank you Mr White, you must be such a leader of men, and you would not imagine an old guy from HK would spread your gospel, would you? Good-on-You Mate!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment