Sunday, May 03, 2009

GENOISE SPONGE

We had 2 assignments yesterday : a Genoise Sponge & a Gateau Weekend, commonly known as 'Pound or Butter Cake' ie kindergarten stuff. My lecturer said, 'I have the highest respect for my colleagues in Cuisine but in Patisserie you cannot make mistakes in the process and exepect to save them, as in Cuisine, so watch your work carefully'. C'est moi! I now know why I prefer to cook, than bake, as I can be the cowboy in the kitchen under the guise of creativity. My first 'Waterloo' was the Gateau .... egges not properly warmed, butter too cold, not creamy enough, and too hasty in the mix. My cake was like a brick and I had to drown it in citrus glaze in the presentation, hoping for amnesty . Well, no mercy @ LCB, failed! The Genoise was OK, because freshly whipped cream and strawberry jam (same for scones) are very forgiving.

Andrea and I had a wonderful chat late last night on the satisfaction she gets from working in pastries and desserts, to her 'knowing how customers appreciate the effort and creativity means a lot'. Of course she has the artistic instincts and nimble fingers which I lack. She and I should find a way to develop ourselves together, like evening pastry classes. The worst thing is I also do not have the scientific mind to understand chemical aeration between flour, gluten, CO2, sugar and liquid. Man, it is only Day 3!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment