Saturday, May 23, 2009

FLORENTINES

I was able to marginally redeem myself today, our 3rd day working on chocolates or should I say couvertures. By marginally I mean the Florentines did not end up with the same fate as my Pralines & Rice Pudding ie the bin! The classic French way is 2 layers of smooth & thin chocolate cover, crafted with wavy lines using a toothed scraper. Since most of us do not have that particluar gadget (not included in our A$2000 knife set believe it or not) free expression took over. The 2 in the middle are in fact the flip side, a symphony of almond flakes, honey, cream, glucose, flour, sugar, mixed citrus peel, cherries & of course, butter. The Florentines are then baked in the oven, before applying the couverture, quite delicious! I thought the Chinese character for 'stamina or patience' is an appropriate reminder, for me at least.

I had a chat with Chef Keith & Chef Michael, both offered a good perspective. Chef Keith used the anology of a sponge that has soaked up too much water, and that is when absorption would slow or even stop. Chef Michael asked how I feel about doing both courses, in hind sight, and I can only offer 2 words .. naively ambitious .. now I know what it is like. That said, at this stage of my life an opportunity to live my dream does not come by often. Regardless of the outcome LCB will be an invaluable & certainly unforgettable experience I will carry to my grave.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment