Sunday, May 10, 2009

30 YEAR FRIENDSHIP

Almost 30 years ago in 1980 three young Asians became the first Management Trainees to join Johnson & Johnson Australia in Sydney under the IDP ie International Development Program. Jaime Castro from Manila, Dicky Adiwoso from Jakarta, & Raymond Tang from Hong Kong. Our Aussie colleagues called us 'The Triad'. To make a long story short, we made the collective effort to keep up since, and our lasting friendship is the ultimate winner.

I left J&J in 1985 to join the executive search world. Jaime had an illustrious career with MNCs, after J&J he joined Alcon Pharmaceutical where he retired as the regional boss. Dicky chose the commercial route with Bakrie Brothers after J&J and became the 'ultra-businessman' I can never be, even if I try. Our J&J ties led to a fascinating business relationship in the late 80's when we collaborated to recruit the CEO of P.T. Seamless Pipe in Chiligon, partnering with Krakatau Steel. The dimensions, the complexity, the impact, the politics, the players really opened my eyes. It was my first global search project, working closely with high power candidates from U.S. Steel, Sumitomo Steel & Italipianti etc. I found myself totally inadequate on the one hand but I also matured professionally on that steep learning curve, thanks to Dicky's introduction.

Jamie & Duitay live in Manila with their 2 adult children whom we knew as toddlers. Dicky & Igal sent all 4 kids to 'uni' here (Aussie code for college) as a result of his own exposure. Being the baby in the group he is still active. Dicky owns a huge cattle farm in South Sumatra, partnering with Aussie cattle farmers which is why he is here a lot. Dora & I hosted a memorable 'First Triad Reunion' in Hong Kong back in March. The next one is Manila, and then Jakarta when we plan to bring our 2nd generation together & stay at Dicky's beach house, next to the farm. I am sure the steaks will be top class, probably on-the-house too, since daman owns a few thousand heads down the road. Right Dicky?

The picture was taken by Dicky's honorable #2 son, in front of 'The Little Snail' on Darling Harbor circa May 10th 2009. For the record I ordered 'Chicken Cordon Bleu' out of sheer respect for my alma mater. Dicky is my witness since he took the bill, and I let him.

The Chinese have a saying (and we have lots) on the 3 key things we must have when we get old .... Old Partner, Old Capital & of course Old Friends. Thank you Dicky & Jaime for being such wonderful 'Old Friends', here is to our next, and many more reunions.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment