Thursday, May 28, 2009

GRADING

At the end of every lesson there is grading, a no BS exercise. The Chef will lay out a snow white table cloth on his bench, and we present our dishes with our name tags next to it. The class must pay attention to which plate to use for which course. Any plate heated over 90C is unacceptable as it will affect the immaculately prepared food, not to mention it might burn the diner. Fancy presentations will not get you anywhere, no brownie points here. Per Chef Steve 'I have seen them all, and I will not be impressed by any such creativity'. We are told garnish should not be over 5% on the plate, and they must be edible. In the first or second week one classmate garnished his dessert with a cinnamon stick, 'would you like to eat that for me' ... point taken, I guess the safe way is to copy the Chef's classic French presentation.

Grading means the Chefs will taste, comment & discuss everything (I mean everything) on the plate. There are 13 in my class .... just think of the gallantry of the task on hand, they shoud all get medals. My Supreme de Saumon a L'Oseille ie Sorrel Cream Sauce with Pomme Nature 'was slightly overcooked, but the sauce & potatoes were good'. The Chefs will inspect, will cut, will taste, will ask for response, will suggest ways to improve, will compliment, will encourage, and of cousre will bin if not edible - now how can I ever forget that - of course they will grade at the end. It is a serious & professional exchange, the moment of truth I have loads of respect for.

No comments:

Post a Comment