Friday, May 22, 2009

'BOTTOMLESS' PRALINES

This is not meant to be funny. I failed to make pralines today, something my Patisserie peers take in stride. The bottoms of mine fell off and while they look OK from the top, no one would buy pralines without 'bottoms' so, into the bin, failed! I did not dare look into Chef Olivier's eyes, and it was not a good feeling.

We learned about Chocolates this week, starting with Couverture or pure coating chocolates that need TLC over a delicate process of Tempering ie inducing the cocoa butter to crystallize. 3 sets of temperatures are mandated in the process for melting, 'tempering' & re-warming. If one fails to monitor properly one will get pralines like mine. My brief moment of joy, when they came out of the mould, was quickly removed when I discovered the obvious.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment