Monday, October 11, 2010

SUKHUMVIT LINE

Yesterday was a perfect Sunday. It was sunny yet mild, with a cool light breeze so the whole population of Bangkok was out on the street. The BTS runs 2 lines : one along Silom and the other along Sukhumvit, the two major boulevards. Like the MTR in Hong Kong, between the BTS above ground and the BRT under ground they are the most efficient form of transport in a city that still faces traffic congestion. I bought a ticket for 50 rides at Baht 20 or HK$5 each ride, it is the best deal. I took the train to the eastern end of the Sukhumvit Line, got off at On Lut, and walked all the way back to Siam/National Stadium. It took almost 5 hours between the walking, the people watching, the photo taking, the window shopping and of course the F&B replenishment stops. The journey covered 11 train stations, each stop carrying its own characteristics.

ON LUT : Local 'market place' for neigboring population
PHRA KHANONG : Mostly local residency
EKKAMAI : More of the same
THONG LO : Moving to up-market residency
PHROM PHONG : Nippon community with fancy provision stores
ASOK : Haven for pavement stalls
NANA : In-Shallah ... Middle East community
PHOLEN CHIT : Cantonese & Putonghua speaking bargain hunters
CHIT LOM : Land of farangs & tourists
SIAM : Unabated consumerism
NATIONAL STADIUM : Anything goes at MBK

It was a wonderful day, my favorite kind of day when I visit a foreign city.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Hello TCK,

    I've been thinking of doing this Thai cooking course for a couple of years and doing doing a search of 'Wandee cooking school' I've come across your inredibly interesting blog. I'll be following you daily. I believe there's an advanced course at Wandee. Will you be following that too? Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There is a limit to life, but none to work, and we have a choice."

    Is this your own or maybe a Chinese saying? I like it very much.

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are my own words, learned when preparing for retirement. No, I will not attend the advanced course after my basic course, the latter is a perfect fit for my purpose ie exposure to the exquisite Thai culinary arts.

    ReplyDelete