Monday, October 04, 2010

1ST DAY @ WANDEE

Almost 7 hours have lapsed when we cleaned up the kitchen for the day. The best news today has nothing to do with food, but with the philosophy of cooking. Thai and French cuisine cannot be farther apart but the way they teach it one would have thought they cane from the same tree somewhere in time. I felt right at home when I see their focus on (1) mise en place (2) due diligence to the recipes and (3) the art of clean as you cook. I could well be in Ryde today, it is eerily similiar.

They do differ though, noticeably in 2 areas. Firstly the classes are smaller, I am with a group of 7 as the only 'Farang' ie foreigner. I told them it is OK to proceed in Thai, to save translation time, as long as my questions are answered in English. My pre-class was taught in English by Dao, the Associate Director and daughter of Madam Songkhla who 'held my hand' in the kitchen. The instructors were extremely hospitable, all wearing their infectious smiles. I really enjoyed my 'total immersion', what better way can one learn? 'My Ban Rye' I told them, losely translated as 'no problem lah'. Secondly we were taught 3 courses, 2 desserts & 1 drink for a total of 6 items, on this very first day. At LCB we learned 2 recipes per day at Basic, and the pressure will escalate to 3 per day when one graduates to Intermediate. I know it is an apple-orange comparison but still ....

SOM TAM THAI : Thai Papaya Salad (as shown)
LABB MOO : Spicy Minced Pork Salad
KHAOW NIEW KAI-YANG-KA-TI-SOD : Sticky Rice & Coconut Milk Grilled Chicken
BUA-LOY-SAM-SEE : 3 Colored Flour Ball in Coconut Milk
TAO-SOUN : Steamed Mungbeans & Coconut Milk Topping
NAM TA-KRAI : Lemon Grass Juice
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment