Sunday, October 03, 2010

FAMILY BUSINESS

My body clock was on HK time this morning ie 6am or 5am Bangkok time when I woke. I watched BBC & CNN while doing my Shaolin streching exercises, after which I headed for a trial run to the school. Today is Sunday and the streets are almost empty at that hour. Wandee is located between the Ari & Saphan Khwai Stations on the BTS Sukhumvit Line and it was a breeze getting there.

The walk to school was another 15 minutes, and breakfast stands were lining the sidewalk. I love corn on the cob, in fact corn anything and I was attractd by not just the beautifully displayed cobs, but the charming smiles on the hawkers. Between their hesitant English and my non-existent Thai we started a dialogue, one I believe will develop in the next 4 weeks. They are a husband & wife team, this is their spot on the street, and they start at 7am daily until their freshly picked corns are sold. For Baht 10 or HK$2.5 one gets a large ear of corn, dipped in heavily salted boiling water and (get this) the cob is shaved in front of you .... table service par excellence ..... and put in a nice sandwich bag, all done without human contact, by the way. I am impressed, I told this nice couple this will be my BF stop from now on. All I need is a nice Chai, since I already have the corn, and a set of new friends.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. nice entry..and i'm sure they will become familiar faces which is always comforting in a new place. do they put any butter on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, these corns are very sweet. They sit on a steamer (under the basket) and you pick your own. Then it is quickly soaked in a trough of very salty water, before it is cut, or shaved. you do not need butter as the salt counters the sweetness of the corn to yield a falvor that tastes excatly like buerre! Wish you can be here ....

    ReplyDelete