Thursday, October 21, 2010

BACK TO STREET FOOD

If you like 'Char Siu Fan' this is the Bangkok challenge ... 'Pad Kra Prao Moo'. Litearlly it means rice cooked with holy basil and pork. It can also be chicken, or minced pork, but the picture shows the crispy pork version, topped with an agg, 'khai', making it a great lunch treat.

My classmates found this tiny family restaurant in one of the alleys inside the wet market, across the street from Wandee. An old lady was at the wok, as dishes after dishes were produced for a full house of 20+. The sauce on the rice, mixed with the runny egg, was seductive. The pork rind was crunchy but unlike its Chinese counterpart it was sweet, tasted like caramalized honey, and very good.

All was well until .... 2 rats showed up, one literally pranced over our feet under the table. I was 'surprised' and choked a bit on my next mouthful but since the women at our group did not show emotions, I acted like I grew up with it too. I had to, for face reasons, the Chinese in me surrendered. These must be house friendly little animals, they behaved like they know their way around, like Kaya roaming at home. Who knows, they might even be pet rats, but who cares, when you have a plate of 'Pad Kra Prao Moo & Khai' to finish!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment