Monday, October 25, 2010

'SATANEE DOR BAI'

Next Station! Well .... 'satanee' is station, and of course 'don bai' is next, what else? Why? You see, where I stay is 9 BTS stations away from Wandee, between Chong Nonsi & Saphan Khwai, with a transfer stop at Siam. This means I hear this announcement 9 x 2 times each day, or at least 540 times just from going to school. Adding the 20-30 rides on weekends, and when Dora was here, almost 600 times. I bet I can say it in my dreams, with a perfect Bangkok accent.

My other limited linguistic acquIsitions are :

SAWADEE KUP : the catch all, round the clock, greeting recognized worldwide
KUP KHUN KUP : 'thankyou' it can be just 'kup' when one is lazy
MAI BEN RI : 'OK lah' or 'no sweat'
A SAK : 'may be' or 'may be not'
A ROI : 'delicious' or 'oishi'
A JARN : 'teacher' (while desperate for help in the kitchen)
THAO RI : 'how much' but it does not matter, you will never catch the rapid fire reply
LOD DAI MAI : 'lower the price' or 'discount'

Learning Thai? Well, I do not think I am anywhere close, perhaps in my next life!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment