Saturday, October 30, 2010

'A - JARN'

Meet the Wandee faculty, my teachers or 'a-jarn' in Thai. Here is a group of young women who defines the sacred people management words such as trust, team, dedication, support and above all, having fun at work. By 730am they start drifting in, some by taking 3 modes of transport; back seat of a scooter, side saddle by the way, the ferry, and the BTS for up to 1.5 hours to come to work. Their daily routine looks something like this : open the school at 8am, mise en place for the classes, teach in the mornings, enjoy a laughter-filled lunch together with each 'a-jarn' taking turns to produce her own creation .... I always sneak up to join them because their food is much more interesting .... more teaching in the early afternoon, followed by paper work, purchasing/inventory control/QC, experimenting and testing new recipes, then a last moment of sharing with tea & snacks before closing the school by 5pm and be on their way. All come back bright and early the next day, 5 days a week, with rotation on Saturdays & Sundays as some students can only attend weekend classes. Always smiling and caring for each other, they are like sisters in an extended family which fully justifies the Professor calling them 'my daughters'. I love working with them, in fact I just love being with them.

I gave everyone a nickname to help me remember my 'a-jarn' these past 4-weeks, names they are not aware but will know what I mean if they are told. Oil (Eyes) Nuch (Foodie) Nim (Weight) Air (Voice) Meaw (Model) Jeab (Smile) Si (Laugh) Noi (Eye Lash) Nong (Shy) Au (Skin) and Parm (Cool) .... I shall miss my 'a-jarn'.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment