Thursday, October 14, 2010

GARLANDS

Garlands and floral work are a key part of Thai culture. I am told everyone has to learn to knit one of these, plus carving cucumber skins into leaves, whilst at primary school. It is a good thing tradition is upheld. I wonder what our elite Education Bureau chiefs will pick if the same were to happen at home, in the name of preserving our identity? Garlands are mostly used for worship, festivals and events like weddings, graduations, birthdays etc. Varying in size, simpler & smaller ones are for everyday use, complicated & larger ones for special occasions.

I did the 3 as shown which took 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, now that my clumsy fingers are legendary at Wandee. Mind you every single bud you see is constructed, by yours truly, with help from Oil, of course. Today I had her full attention, 1-on-1, because the Thais are exempted. They all claim to have the working knowledge, even though I bet not that many can actually make one. So what did they do instead? 'Kitchen English' ..... just in case they end up working in a bilingual kitchen. I was extremely curious all day. If they invite Gordon Ramsay as Guest Lecturer I will bend over backwards to attend. It would be the epitome of adults only, no nonsense 'Kitchen English' alright.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment