Saturday, October 30, 2010

COOKING PARTNER

Belle Wiraphan is Thai, married to an American who works in Afganistan. She is a talented woman who will do big things in the cooking world down the road, probably in America. She speaks fluent American English and towards the latter part of the course she was assigned to be my regular partner. We worked well together, that is, if she does not mind my 'slowness'. Coming from LCB I thought I work quite efficiently until I am next to Belle, she is super fast so it is a catch-up game for me. The value of having a partner to watch over each other's back is like two soldiers on patrol in a war zone, or the wingman in air combat formation. Constantly assessing the work flow & output, a team that works well will produce the quality dishes an up-market restaurant patron expects. I may not have worked professionally as a cook but I have spent time at the Derby with a super chef, Donovan Cooke, who indirectly taught me how to spot a good team leader verses a mere follower. Belle is a leader, she is a good cook, and one day she will become a chef. My blessings are with you, Belle. Thank you for your kindness, for that ever present smile, and for your friendship.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment