Monday, October 04, 2010

LAPP MOO

Without question Thai cooking has lifted minced meats, in fact minced anything, to new heights. This is one of my all time favorites since my first steps here in Bangkok, in 1976. What I did not realize is the art of balancing the complexity of flavors. Cooking the minced pork (which can also be chicken, beef, duck or even pig intestines as done in certain parts of the country) is a breeze, but getting the seasoning ingredients together is the key.

Roasted Rice Powder is one item that excites me .... it is made from dry roasting rice, glutinous rice, kaffir lime leave and lemon grass to light brown, then pounded or blended to a smooth texture for application across many dishes. This is an essential item, one I must prepare at home if I were to ever serve Thai food.

The class sat around a table in the kitchen and ate what we cooked in the morning for lunch, cross referencing each others' final products. I was the last one to finish but mine in fact tasted quite alright, at least they taste Thai, I was told.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment