Wednesday, October 06, 2010

KHAI LOOK KOEY

Today is only my 3rd day but the pace at Wandee is no-nonsense. We had 6 items on the day #1, vegetable carving on #2, another 5 iteems today and then Napkin Art tomorrow. I left my curriculum book at school so I cannot run details for you (I am at an internet cafe on Silom right now paying Baht 60 or HK$15 per hour) .... I do, howver like to post this one as it was without question the highlight for me.

In Thai, 'Khai' is egg and 'Look Koey' is son-in-law so losely translated it means 'Son-in-Law Eggs', as the story goes. Apparentky somewhere, some time ago, some son-in-law created this recipe to amsue some mother-in-law and the rest is not just folk lore, but a pillar in Thai cuisine. The recipe reminded me of a similar version in Indonesian cooking, Telor Bali, but these are defintively better because of the intricate sauce.

How do you make them? Well ... soft boiled eggs, deep fried in oil until skin is brown and crispy, top with a heavenly fresh tamarind, lime and sugar based sauce, enhance by deep fried garlic, dried hot red peppers, baby shallots and lastly, garnish with coriander. I have never tasted better eggs, anywhere. This may be blesphamous to some but even Truffled Scrambled Eggs do not come close. I had 4 pieces at lunch, on plain steamed rice. It will be a regular item on TKT's Thai menu, in time, this I guarantee.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment