Monday, October 04, 2010

MY FEATHER PAL

This was taken at the Chatuchak Weekend Market off the Saphan Khwai station yesterday. It was Sunday and the place was mobbed between the open air stalls and the maze inside the complex, sort of like Thailand's answer to the tightest spots at the Istanbul spice market. If you like crowds, touristy ones, this will be heaven for you, I guarantee. Languages galore when one walks through this mass of humanity, fascinating.

Have you ever met a more handsome, young, street feather salesman anywhere in the world? He is Sam (or the equivalent of a Thai name that sounds like Sam) and my instant 'feather pal'. We spent 15 minutes talking in sign language. I think he told me 'business is good' but how, and why, I can never tell you. Aside from the proverbial 'smile' which brands the nation, there is this lack of belligerence in its people which is becoming a rarity, even in Asia.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment