Tuesday, November 26, 2013

YOUNG GAI-JINS

It seems more young Gai-jins are living and working here in Tokyo. I saw blondes, red heads and Afros around key stations selling in perfect Japanese, be it English language courses or tour plans, or whatever. They seem to have traded places with the Mormon youths some years ago, in crew cuts, white buttoned-down shirts, and narrow striped ties.  I saw Indians handing out discount coupons to curry houses (wonder if they dare sell the real thing) but when I saw Damien and his Donna Kebab van at Ikebukuro Square, I had to stop. The Y500 or HK$38 'Middle Eastern Te Maki' is not cheap considering a noodle & rice set nearby costs less.  The Kebab was well done though, with juicy sliced chicken in what the locals love most ... mayonnaise, in this case, cumin and ketchup mayo. Yoshoku, right?

Damien made Tokyo home almost 5 years ago, after 3 years in Singapore doing the same thing. Hailed from Istanbul he has a no nonsense attitude to life and does not consider being a Gai-jin here he is a second class citizen. I guess like the word Gwei-lo we use in Hong Kong, Gai-jin is no longer derogatory, it is just another word to describe a foreigner. Am I naive?

Business must be doing well, his partner now sells drinks and ice cream next to him. I set at that table with my Kebab, ordered an iced black coffee, closed my eyes ... I was right on the waterfront of the Bosphorus.    

No comments:

Post a Comment