Sunday, November 24, 2013

NO SMOKING

It is a global trend that has come to Tokyo. I do not know since when but apparently enforcement is serious. This is a 'Smoking Area' by the Ebisu Station, and it is within sight of the Police Station so the law is watching, literally. I stopped smoking, practically overnight, when I was preaching community health in Kwun Tong at the United Christian Hospital. That said, I still enjoy an occasional cigar and the only time I can do that at home is when we walk Kaya before bed. She can almost fetch her leash when I open the humidor. It may sound strange to you but I do find solace in that 30+ minutes. Dora wins the grand prize for stamina, she knows I will not just 'stop' but her sermon never stops and I respect her for that. Alright, guilty as charged, I am hopeless.

I brought cigars but I dare not smoke in broad daylight as I am told the Police actually comes up to stop you. I must say that aside from secondary smoke this habit does pollute in more ways than one. I saw cigarette butts all over the enclosed area, ashes piled up and emptied cans from drinks. I saw a guy smoking near the trays and his date frowning and holding her nose, and I bet that relationship would not go far.

Smokers have made their choices and if that is the way they must go, as adults, who are we to say no and where do we draw the line?    

No comments:

Post a Comment