Monday, November 18, 2013

BUDGET EATING

It is not that I have to, nor that I want to, and it certainly has nothing to do with $ or affordability ... it is really a key element of my food journey. I am a diehard low-brow who, if given a choice between Michelin and street foods, will jump at the latter without a blink.

I took a 2-hour walk after school and on the way back stopped by the Mitsukoshi basement food court. It was almost 9pm and most of the food items were on sale, from 20-30% across the board. My Plan A was a bowl of ramen near the hotel for Y500 (HK$38) but was stopped dead in my tracks by Plan B, a special combie of chili prawns & salad at a discounted Y400 (HK$30) .... nothing can beat that.    

The salad recipe is duly noted for future improvisation back at TKT : julienne of Daikon, baby cucumbers, preserved spicy vegetable roots sliced, shredded white fish probably of the cod variety, in a creamy sesame mustard dressing, and garnished by the most appetizing, the most green flat leaf Italian parsley there is. Dinner on hand, I rushed home, devoured them in front of the late news in Japanese (no English channels here) and washed it all down with a chilled carton of Morinaga full cream fresh milk. Michelin does not even come close, sorry!  

No comments:

Post a Comment