Thursday, November 21, 2013

'TAMPOPO' RAMEN

After that huge feast Sensei called 'lunch' today I thought I do not need any food until tomorrow.  Equipped with a 1-hour cigar I commenced to walk from Ginza 2-chome, foot lose and fancy free in real terms. Then I hit Shimbashi Station and I realized there is no such thing as 'I am full' when one is in the spell of Ramen, absolutely my Archilles' Heel.

Have you watched a Japanese movie made in the 80's called Tampopo, starring Tsutomo Yamazaki?  It was about a rough and tough but soft-hearted sentimental truck driver, a regular at a Ramen noodle stop, who tried to save the owner's widow from having to close the tiny joint. It was beautifully directed but central to this plot was an 'Olde to Ramen'. I loved the scene when he lectured everyone on how to nurse a bowl of Ramen.  I watched it so many times I can memorize the lines, which goes something like this.

*  when it is served piping hot look at it, with admiration, enjoy the effusing smoke
*  bend your nose to the bowl, breathe in the unique fragrance
*  close your eyes, in anticipation of imminent gratification
*  push the 2 pieces of pork belly with chopsticks into the soup
*  this step will warm, or rather, wake them up
*  use the spoon and fill it with the creamy pork bone based stock
*  take a first sip, let it stay in your mouth, relish the intensity of the taste
*  add the julienne of pink ginger & brown preserved vegetables
*  toss the noodle a bit, tenderly & not to much, so the soup can come forward
*  then and only then do you take your first bite of the noodles
*  always slurp, take a deep breath and draw  
*  now you can dig up the pork and address them
*  before the end use both hands to lift the bowl and down every last drop of the soup
*  do not forget the ice water on the side, a necessary cleanser so drink it

I have no idea where exactly this shop is, suffice to say it is near the Shimbashi Station.  Comes hell or high water I will visit it again, perhaps tomorrow even.  Y500 plus Y50 for the tamago .. total Y550 ($42) for a quick visit to Heaven, this is what Value-for Money is about.

I am at an all time high right now.  I have said many prayers recently for things that have troubled me. Let me say this, whoever looks after me upstairs is answering ... not directly to solve my problems, but indirectly to steer me away from pain and return to joy, over an unbeatable bowl of Ramen, on the streets of Tokyo.

I thank you ... thank you so much for being kind to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment