Saturday, November 30, 2013

JAPANESE BREAD

Do you know bread was introduced to Japan, via Kyushu in fact, when Portuguese ships were in port 500 years ago? I don't.  I have always enjoyed Japanese bakeries but did not realize that consumers draw a subtle line between a traditional Japanese bakery, verses a French bakery which sometimes carries a drastically difference product line. Generally speaking Sensei describes Japanese bread as more fluffy and slightly sweet as sweet dough is even used in salty bread. She showed me a few recipes and demonstrated skills from over 150-hours of bread making classes, and God knows how many loaves of practice over time afterwards. She has all the right moves with the dough, making the exercise really easy to watch, until I have things in my hands. Fillings are a 'must' and I picked two as they are closest to Hong Kong tastes.

*  Krimu-Pan : 'Krimu' is cream and 'Pan' is bread, in this case stuffed with patisserie creme
*  Kare-Pan : 'Kare' is curry, like curry puffs at home, except these are deep fried with Panko

To be honest, I fear bread making, not being a strong suite of mine, may be further down the priority list.

No comments:

Post a Comment