Monday, November 18, 2013

TOKYO SOJOURN

Come to think of it my first time ever on an aeroplane was in 1963, 50 years ago almost to the date, on Japan Airline or what was affectionately known as JAL.  I was 14, was with my parents, and we did not come to Japan, but hopped off in Taiwan to visit relatives.  I was so excited I remember collecting each and every item put in front of me, including the air-sickness bag and the menu which I managed to keep for years after. A snack was served on this short flight (longer than today though as the planes were slower) and it was described as 'collation' ... a new vocabulary from half a century ago which I remember and cherish because of the circumstances ... it means a light, informal meal, by the way.

Fast forward 50 years here I am again on JAL, an airline I seldom fly with.  I am here to learn the rudiments of Japanese cooking, a cuisine Dora and I admire. My 'Sensei' is Mari Nameshida (Google her and be amazed) who valiantly took on my totally left field challenge of intensive 1-on-1 sessions with her for 3 weeks. This custom-designed course will not be anything like Le Cordon Bleu or Wandee or Cookingalaturka ... it will be just me and Mari, at her home, in her fully equipped kitchen. She may be half my age but her passion and zest for the culinary arts can double mine anytime ... and I thought I am crazy about cooking. Aside from basic techniques and methods she will teach me regional specialties from north to south, and the exotics like Kaiseki, Yoshoku and Japanese bakery.    

I start tomorrow bright and early and I am so full of anticipation I cannot sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment