Saturday, November 30, 2013

TABI

Remember way, way back when the Ninja first hit the screens? These super folks, covered in black from head to toes, were giving their Chinese kung-fu counterparts a run for their money. I bet you never quite look at their shoes, right, even if you did you would not know what they are. I have the answer for you, it is the Tabi ... I own a pair, and I am now an unofficial member of the outdoors labor community.

I never thought I would buy anymore clothing but when I see these, I wanted them. I was in Asakusa and noticed Tabis on the 'rickshaw pullers' as they cruise around, soliciting tourist business, looking very comfortable. Surprisingly, the structure to accommodate the toes, with the big toe in a separate compartment, actually gives a better grip when one walks. The buckles on the side can fit around one's ankle, like the leggings WW1 soldiers used to wear. The tightness contributes to the ease of walking so, all in all, an excellent design that can outbid Timberland any day. I started wearing them and almost instantly became attached to them. Yes, I get funny looks around Ginza but who cares.

The damage is Y3900 or HK$300 ... they come in black, dark blue and brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment