Tuesday, November 19, 2013

WHAT'S IN A NAME

'Our guests can have an early start by having breakfast at the Tsukiji fish market before exploring the city ... ' says the promotion brochure so I did that, since today's class starts at 4pm on dinner service. It was indeed blasphemous of me to walk into Tsukiji, eating a sandwich from Kirramura, which is literally 7 minutes away. I timed it.

Located at the intersection of Shin Obashi Dorai and Harumi Dori is a large canopy with Tsukiji Bon Marche on it.  Images of that famous mid town supermarket in Paris came up ... this has to be 'the' ultimate east-meets-west store, I told myself.  I cannot be more wrong as it is, without question, one of those disappointing revelations. I do not need to say more, except 'do not bother' when you are in the neighborhood, you will be wasting your time.

What's in a name?  Well, lots if it is Tsukiji or Bon Mache, on their own but not when they are married like that. A let down, a fluke and plain sacrilege.  Forgive them, please!    

No comments:

Post a Comment