Thursday, November 21, 2013

MORE RAMEN

The year was 2001 when Terri relocated from Boston to join the investment banking arm of JPMorgan here in Tokyo, as a Junior Associate. Dora and I visited her, and was introduced to this Ramen outlet in Roppongi. It immediately hit the top of my chart. I have many charts when it comes to food and eating, needless to say this is the universal Ramen list. Their style is more attuned to northern Chinese origins, notably lots of chopped garlic in a heavy handed soup base. One uniqueness is raw garlic cloves on the table, like Korean BBQs. Since 12 years ago we have been back whenever we are in town. That said I must admit my taste has moved from far right to the center line what with high cholesterol, BMI, blood pressure and so on. Tonight my vote was 6-7 on a scale of 10 verses a definitive 9 last night.  If this were any guide, my political leaning, with the current Hong Kong Government (what and how do they govern anyway) has moved even farther a field to the left. Back to Ramen ... I found this soup base way too heavy, compared to the one near Shimbashi Station, which was altogether lighter and I can taste the noodle better. The flyer on the right was a special promotion. From the Chinese characters it is the relaunch of a 3-Miso soup base 'that has gained popularity' or something like that. While the place has survived since the late 1990s (the chain itself was opened in 1985) their energy and following seem to have faded. With only a handful of customers at dinner time, the flair was lost, or at least not as dominant as we were used to. While the change in taste is all about me, maintaining the style of the place should be about them. Don't you agree?      

No comments:

Post a Comment