Saturday, November 30, 2013

SAVOY PIZZA

Tugged away at the edge of Roppongi & Azabu Juban is a small pizza haven with only 12-seats around a gorgeous wood oven. Though sunny with blue skies, the temperature has dropped to the low teens so it felt really good to talk into Savoy today. It came with the highest accolades so I will start by saying ... first class, best pizza (including from Italy) and a must on your next trip. OK I said it!

Now for the details. They open 7-days a week but there are only 2 types of pizzas daily, the best one is the multiple cheese which, unfortunately was not on today and that left me no choice but to return.

I watched the friendly young chef in action ... nice dough kept in a wooden box, thick tomato sauce, dry herbs, garlic cloves thinly sliced with a serrated knife to release the juices (smart trick), fresh basil leaves whole, generous helping of olive oil, pinch of salt and into that oven. 5 minutes max, it was done, piping hot in front of me. I devoured it and really wanted another but controlled myself.  Good stuff should be rationed!

We found foreign restaurants, generally, are of high standards in Tokyo. This statement has no research back-up, it is rather a gut feel based on what we had in various countries. The national trait of being particular, and being attentive to details might be the first reason why food, more importantly tastes, can be duplicated so well here. Savoy is perfect testimony that 'best ingredients cooked in the simplest way' will always win.

Do not miss this, you will love it, I did and will return for more. I can taste it right now.

SAVOY PIZZA : 3-3-13 Azabu Juban, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-0045 ... 03-3451-6699


No comments:

Post a Comment