Wednesday, September 09, 2009

ONLY IN PARIS .....

This is without question the high point of my trip to Paris! I can feel the excitement as I post this blog. I was walking along Rue Saint Peres this afternoon after lunching at Brasserie Lutetia, window shopping over a Hoyo Petit Robusto and enjoying the sun on my balding forehead. I was feeling the spirit of 'Gay Paris'. As I turned the corner into a side street I ran right into this incredibly fashionable man, in silver mane, and squid-ink shades. We nodded to each other .... "excusez moi" .... I thought that was what he said. It took me a few seconds to realize who he was, none other than Monsieur Karl Lagerfeld, the definitive "King of Fashion" !!!!!!!

Just imagine, me, likely to be the least fashionable person on that street, with my jeans tucked "too high around my waist" plus a boring Brooks Brothers' polo shirt .... exchanging a quick nod with Karl Lagerfeld? I made a U-turn and took 2 quick pictures. One as he walked away and another as he stopped to look. I was going to ask for a handshake but he stepped into the jewellery shop. I did not think it was PC to follow, I backed off, which I now regret.

As I reviewed my precious photos a street cleaner, yes, a street cleaner with a big bloom came over and said .... "Lagerfeld, oui?" Now, how can you beat this one? No one can beat me on this one. I will live to tell my grand children this brief close encounter of the 'North & South Poles of Fashion'.

It was a truly wonderful moment for me, it reminds me of another such moment years ago when I introduced myself to Sean Connery at the bookstore of the Vancouver Airport, except in that episode we had a chat. I even shook his hand.

Karl Lagerfeld, man, Karl Lagerfeld ... a fashion supremo even Raymond Tang recognizes!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment