Thursday, September 03, 2009

OLD GLORY

The main staricase at the old Raffles Hotel in Singapore .... one of the few remaining 'old glory' in Asia. The others notable ones are ; the Peninsula in Hong Kong, the Manila Hotel in Manila, the Okura in Tokyo etc but regrettably they have been overtaken by the competitive Four Seasons & Grand Hyatts which razzle-dazzle with modern hospitailty comforts that guests do not really need, such as top end hand soaps & conditioners, at a price. I always admire this staircase because the Raffles was one of the first hotels I ever stayed when I started to travel on business almost 30 years ago. It is not just the beauty of her physical presence but what she represents ie old world charms, old world standards & old world values which are disappearing fast. I am so glad I had the chance to at least straddle the old & new during my short tenure on earth. I am blessed!

One more thing, the daily curry buffet at the Tiffin Room, to the left of these stairs is a MUST if you like curries. The spread is sumptuous, the taste original, and the decor ... especially the unusually high celings and the white-as-snow columns against the equally white table cloths is like a page from the old Raj! Yes, guilty as charged, I am a product of the colonies & the colonialists. I am not ashamed though. I hold my head high becasue that part of my past coined me into what I am today, which I am proud.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment