Friday, December 04, 2015

LADIES' LUNCH





I run into this group of ladies every morning about 1030am on my way to school. They are always friendly, ever so charming, as they prepare for either a late breakfast or an early lunch of Chapati & Dahl. Sitting in the exact positions daily, the one in spectacles (who I am sure can hardly see) is the MaMaSan who gives the orders. I end up sitting down for a chat whenever I pass, in a new dialect of Hindi intertwined with English that miraculously we both seem to understand. I brought them a bag of peanuts yesterday which they happily shared, and yes, MaMaSan was dishing them out equitably, as shown. Look at those faces and expressions .. sheer magic!

I love these 'moments' which is really the cornerstone of my cooking sojourns over the past 7-years. Increasingly my quest to become an amateur Food Anthropologist is mounting a challenge to that of an amateur home cook.

To our Hong Kong Tai-Tai Group ... stalwarts and pillars of the Ladies Lunch Movement ... this is a far cry from the Garden Lounge at the Hong Kong Club, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment