Tuesday, December 08, 2015

I WAS SPEECHLESS ... TWICE

The Humayun's Tomb is a very popular heritage in Delhi for tourists and locals alike. I had the pleasure of visiting this beautifully preserved sit but I must share with you two instances that left me speechless, twice.

I was with my driver whom I invited to come along. First of all his ticket was R10 as a local and mine R250 as a foreigner. Well, so be it, a justified source of income. Out of nowhere came an officious looking man, index finger wagging, and began to lecture me ' .. he is not a registered tour guide and under no circumstances should he be talking to you, this is strictly for your protection against touts so consider this a warning'. Hello, where did you go to charm school again? I was speechless.

My next encounter was rather different. It was Saturday and the site was mobbed with school kids who, surprisingly, love to take pictures with foreigners. All of a sudden I was surrounded and while posing for the camera the following 30-second conversation took place.

* Where did you come from?
* Hong Kong.
* Do you have tombs like this?
* No we do not.
* Who is better, ours or yours? ... from the boy turning to face me
* Yours, of course! ... bursts of loud cheers and applause
* Thank you please come back to see us again  ... girl in front of me

I was touched, and I was speechless for a second time. God Bless India!    

No comments:

Post a Comment