Tuesday, December 08, 2015

CHAAT

I must admit that I failed myself utterly in my noble mission to explore street foods whilst on my culinary sojourns. My fear for hygiene issues has taken over my never-say-no attitude in Delhi, probably for the better albeit with huge regrets.

CHAAT is a common name for a large assortment of savory snacks served all over Indian cities on road side, on carts, in markets, even food plazas in the malls. Indians love their Chaat just like the Filipinos with their Marienda or we Chinese with our Dim-sum ... these food items are not just part of a nation's tradition, they have become their pride.

I was told 'the original Chaat is a mixture of potato pieces, crispy fried bread, chickpeas and Masala spices' but moving from there the sky is the limit. I understand even top end restaurants are elbowing in to serve 'upscale street foods' which must be a dream from the profit angle. Would it be the same though if one sits down with a white table cloth, we all know that answer. Street food must be consumed on the street, there is no if or but about it.

Bhel Puri that roast nutty salad I declined in an earlier blog is a Chaat, so is a Samosa, Dahl Puri, Pani Puri, Aloo Gobi Masala, Channa Dal Salad, Kheema Pav ... not to mention, of course, that litany of Chinese Chaat as shown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment