Monday, December 07, 2015

BHEL-PURI

India is actually a haven for street foods, complete with a dazzling repertoire of savories & sweets, vegetarian & meats, plus of course national & regional specials. At every street corner, these outlets are always so vibrant with the colors of red Chili, yellow Tumeric, green Coriander that appeal not only to the eyes but also the palate.

Bhelpuri is one such local favorite : a cocktail of roasted peanuts, chickpeas and lentil in Masala, mixed with a chopped onion and coriander salad, splashed with a Tamarind-like dressing and lastly topped with more spices. Not bad? Not really! I kept watching, my mouth watering as orders after orders was being prepared. I took pictures but I just could not gather enough courage to take one. What stopped me was that menacing chunk of ice in the middle of the salad. In a country when one is advised to use bottled water for brushing teeth how can one deal with this? This is such a great recipe though, the flavors and textures must be out of this world. I will try one at home instead.    

No comments:

Post a Comment