Wednesday, December 02, 2015

THANKS .... MR POLICEMAN

I was not sure whether it was me, an accidental tourist, or the numbering system in India ... I lost my way on Day #2 of my sojourn as I tried but failed to find the home of my Chef, on foot, around a maze of blocks after blocks of apartments and individual houses. The numbers were erratic and everyone I approached for direction, though kind and ready to help, would have a different or even conflicting set of directions. I was about to give up when this police patrol came by and the young officer offered to take me. Totally relieved and wet from sweat and embarrassment I climbed into the back of the jeep ... only to disembark literally 1-minute later. I said thank you, and gave him the best rendition of a British military salute I was taught by the Royal Air Force back in 1976.  I will never forget his acknowledgement ... in the form of a lovely smile, and that classic 25 degree slant of the head with a half shrug that only an Indian can master. It was the high point of my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment