Monday, December 07, 2015

A SHAWL TO DIE FOR ... REALLY?

My position or rather opposition to shopping is well documented. I do not like it and I hardly shop. That said, with 4 women around me, 1 wife and 3 daughters the chance of me being left alone is zilch. I am here to learn Indian cooking, but not before I complete my mission of shawl shopping, which I did, thanks to my gracious hosts who took the trouble.

Despite all the animal rights efforts the fashion world is still fascinated by the magic of the Shahtoosh shawl .. so smooth, so light, so warm and so versatile it can be pulled through a ring. Made from the fine fleece of a Chiru or Tibetan Antelope, it is said that it takes five of these endangered animals to yield one shawl. Unlike what the public is told, apparently they are often killed either in the wild in the old days or where they are farmed today. The U.S. has banned Shahtoosh and I believe India, too.

Now .. there is an alternative the Pashmina which comes from the fleece of Tibetan Mountain Goats, a species in less of a dire straits. This is my task. Pashmina is much less expensive than Shahtoosh which is just not available but even within the Pashmina category there is a wide price range.

How does one go about it then? One needs locals who know where to go and how to do a deal. I was taken to this market near Defence Colony (do not ask me where it is or how to get there) ... to Ahujasons ... to be exact, a big name in shawls and scarves which is all they sell. Well, for someone who hates shopping I bought enough, almost enough rather, to bring smiles to these gentlemen behind the counter. Do not get me wrong they are the nicest folks but speaking of keeping things close to their chests. WOW!        


No comments:

Post a Comment