Tuesday, December 01, 2015

1ST SALVO - MURHLAI SPECIALS

One does not need to look very far to see the definition of 'bliss' as shown on my face, while being put through the paces by Chef Usha at her home kitchen. Being a bona fide meat eater, I never thought I could be so overwhelmed by vegetarian recipes until now, in New Delhi.

Without wasting a single breath, my no-nonsense Mentor-Chef introduced me to 5 of her signatures under the Mughlai category, favorite recipes handed down from the Mughal Empire which enjoyed supremacy of 331 years from 1526-1857 .. from the left at the top of the picture :

* Dal Makhami : lentil cooked for Queens in buttery gravy
* Vegetarian Plateau Biryani : tiered basmati rice & mixed veggies
* Jhatpat Shahi Paneer : instant cottage cheese for royalties in tomato-ketchup sauce
* Makhmali Kofta : velvet soft 'balls' in creamy Badami gravy or white sauce
* Lachcha Pudina Parantha : layered roti or flat-bread with dry mint powder
* Pickled Onions, Minty Yogurt Dip, Skewered Green Chili            

These may be veggie recipes but the 3 'Mother Sauces' are universal which means they can be used as bases to prepare meat, poultry or seafood dishes .. voila!

I could never imagine that only 48-hours ago I was illiterate and 5-courses later, within one day, I have taken my first step into the magical world of Indian cuisine. Hence that smile on my face which Dora dubs 'contagious'. You can never wipe it off, as long as I am in the kitchen, any kitchen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment