Monday, June 01, 2009

WOW ...


Being totally illiterate I did not know I could forward several pictures at once, this offers a new presentation angle I should think. Today we prepared a real feast!

(1) Gratin Dauphinois ie Potato Gratin, a delicious artery blocker, was 'demo only' as Chef Steve took us through the recipe. What a wonderful complement to a main course, that beautiful Gruyere lit up our demo kitchen. Apparently Heidi Gruyere is the best in Australia, per our Guru. This is not difficult to duplicate and it will definitely be on the Chez Tang menu when I am home. I cannot wait to cook it, I salivate just looking at the Chef's creation.

(2) Gambas Frits ie Fried King Prawns with Sauce Mayonnaise 'Derivatives'. From the Google it is interesting to note that after the '4 Mother Sauces' introduced by Chef Antoine Carene back in the 18th century (!!!) in French cooking ie Bechamel, Espagnole, Veloute & Allemande .... Chef Auguste Escoffier added 3 more ie Tomato, Mayonnaise & Hollandaise. Amazing stuff here. The prawns were beautifully fresh & sweet, after the Paner l'Anglaise treatment ie dipped in a trio of flour, egg wash & breadcrumbs. Deep fried to golden brown, served with Mayo, voila! Every thing needs definition here by the way. 'Deep Fried' obviously does not mean 'deep fried', it is rather 'the process of fully submerging what one is cooking in pre-heated oil or fat, 140C in this case' ... thank you very much, all you peasants out there. We made Mayo, there were 3 'derivative options' - investment banking vocabulary here - available ie Fines Herbes, Tartare & Remoulade. One needs strength to whipped the egg yolks & grapeseed oil to submission. The first one is just finely chopped herbs ie parsley, chervil, tarragon & chives. Tartare has capers & gherkins but I picked Remoulade because there is anchovy in the recipe, my absolute favorite . What a delight, I was proud of this entree.

See, I think I just deleted #3 picture and I have no idea how to retrive it. Next blog, sorry!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment