Wednesday, June 17, 2009

LOOK AT MY SOUFFLES!


I wrote on May 20th, after a failed attempt, that one day I will produce a 'perfect souffle'. I did not realize an oppprtunity would present itself less than 4 weeks later, on June 17th, today. I produced not 1 but 2 perfect (in my book) Souffle Chaud au Cointreau today. When I opened the oven I let out an uncontrolled WOW that attracted my classmates, who agreed with my sentiments. What tops it ... Chef John is in agreement, yes, they 'souffled', they were well cooked, they tasted right. Fearing they may deflate I immediately took this picture for the record, before the presentation - with icing sugar & cream. I want to show off the height, even though they are a whole inch shorter than what Chef John produced at the demo session. Well, they are good enough for me. So what did I do right this time? I think my days with Patissserie gave me the confidence today. Preparing the Panade ie sugar, butter & flour; mixing it with warm milk & vanilla pod; adding 3 egg yolks; whisking 4 egg whites to medium peak and; finally, folding everything in gently ... I was quite comfortable. When I poured the final product into the ramekins I saw all the air bubbles flowing through. Could this be 'it' I asked myself? I guess 'it is'. I am a happy man today, despite under-cooking my my Lamb Noisettes Choisy. I am content because as a novice, and an amateur, I can never win them all, especially not in one day.

Sitting in front of my lap-book I suddenly became philosophical, so forgive me for rambling on. My souffle story - which I claim no ownership as millions before me must have gone through the exact emotions since the souffle was invented - has led me to reflect. This little espisode in cooking has taught me another lesson in life, as follows :

* there is always another chance, as long as one is willing to try
* if one is willing to try, again & again, one will eventually get it right
* doing well this time, however, does not mean one will automatically do well the next time
* to echo Jamie Oliver ... its not life & death, its only FOOD ... go into the kitchen & have fun

We have a saying in the executuive search business, ' ... you are only as good as your last completion ...' In other words, no one should be complacent as the next assignment, if not managed, could well be one's Waterloo. Chef Steve told us just a day earlier that 'perfection in cooking does not exist'. It is an unreachable goal and this is how we all improve, by constantly shooting for perfection. As soon as we are 1-step closer, perfection is 2-steps farther to reach. I failed 4 weeks ago, made it today, and my challenges are (1) how do I maintain my performance at this level, but more importantly (2) how do I improve on what I did today?

Good night, I will sleep well tonight ... despite pressures of 2-sets of exam schedules. What am I doing to myself?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment