Monday, June 01, 2009

OK .. MAIN COURSE

(3) Medallion de Veau Saute a l'Estragon ie Veal Medallion in Tarragon Cream Sauce. The thing I love the most in class are the anecdotes & industry practices Chef Steve brings to the table, figuratively and literally. Cutting medallions from a veal tenderloin is no longer straight forward in his demonstration. 'Apprentices are not allowed to touch this as inexperienced hands equate wastage, which means money'. This reminds me of what my late father told me about Yung Kee, used to be #1 for roast goose in Hong Kong in the 80s. He was good friends with the boss, who started as a street hawker. 'The old man was the only chef in all of Hong Kong who can get 8 servings out of a goose - to serve on a bowl or dish of rice - his closest competitor was 6'. I did not forget. My veal was at medium rare but I burned my sauce, ever so slightly though, during reduction which of course spoiled the plate. As I said before our lecturers taste all our food, sauces, garnish etc Chef Steve's palate is sharp as it immediately registered. Guilty as charged! This is further proof that cooking is an apprenticeship; one learns from mistakes, one builds on experience, and one gets better by doing more, aka, practice makes perfect. I now look forward to my next sauce.

Sometimes I wonder where would I be if I did this at 40 or 50 instead of 60? No, please do not answer that, let me dream OK?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment