Tuesday, June 30, 2009

GNOCCHI ROMAINE

This lesson has completely changed my perspective on Polenta, a product I have always considered blend and tasteless. This recipe, Gnocchi Romaine - gnocchi literally means lumps - is really Polenta Cake, served with a beautiful Sauce Tomate as it is usually done in Italy, as an entree. Apparently Semolina instead of Polenta can be used in the recipe. I have learned from the lectures, and from Google over the past 10-weeks, how the Roman Legion literally 'influenced' the food culture of Italy over the course of history. Many a times one will read how Roman soldiers, during their extensive military campaigns, would create recipes (using the term loosely) from local produce as they marched. Googles suggests Gnocchi carries the same etiology, in Roman times, hence Romaine. The ingredients are quite simple ie polenta boiled in milk, seasoned with salt, pepper, nutmeg then adding to it egg yolk to bind, and to give color. Next comes a generous sprinkle of grated parmesan, and of course butter - the cue for the French to enter the stage - then we can grill, pan-fry or gratinate. As you can see the final product is very presentatble, and tasty. This will definitely be on the Chez Tang menu back home.

We had a new Lecturer standing in for Chef Steve today. Chef Colm Kennedy, originally from Ireland but who has worked & lived here since 12 years ago, has altogether a different style. On the word go he declares his mission in life ' ... To cook, To eat & To look after my wife and kids. I do not want to do anything else'. How very noble, and how inspiring from someone who obviously has 'made it' in industry judging from his war-stories in Dublin and here in Sydney. His teaching approach is different, it is 'entertaining' and I mean it in a most positive way. The class was kept smiling the whole time, while learning his techniques but above all, tips from the commercial world that will come in handy down the road. Chef Colm will open a restaurant soon, in Cammeray, the town I have a soft spot for. I had a tiny bachelor pad overlooking the water back in 1981 when I was a young (very young) Management Trainee with Johnson & Johnson Australia. I was of the vintage of my LCB classmates today, but mush less gifted as they are now. 28 years have lapsed, now I am the crazy 60 year old 'Wannabe' who has to 'Re-Sit Eclairs' ... where has all the time gone?

Good luck with 'Wild Sage', Chef Colm, I will be your marketing arm in Hong Kong!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment