Tuesday, June 02, 2009

SOUP & BISQUE

Today we were introduced to 2 new lecturers : Chef 'I am Italian' Vito Mancino at Demo & Chef Andreas Bolle from Berlin at Practical. Another two experienced professionals who are focused on teaching the best commercial culinary skills. My headhunter instincts always lead me to their career paths, which intrigue me immensely. How do they end up in LCB Sydney? In no time I found the common denominator ... the strive for excellence in their profession, and the willingness to share their journey. Teaching at an elite establishment with the pedigree of the 'Blue Ribbon' their challenge to stay abreast, if not ahead, of what goes on out in the jungle is no small task. The adrenalin in these folks must be quite different from mere earthlings like myself. As Chef Andreas pointed out today, ' ... You are cooking for one person today, imagine yourself in a kitchen with a 300 cover for lunch, how would you manage?' This is all about the real world. The pushing & pressure start with Basic, and will carry on through Intermediate & Superior, to mould the diploma students.

Back to the kitchen : we prepared Creme Cendrillon ie Cream of Pumpkin Soup. Cendrillon, a French opera first performed in 1899 is similar to the fairy tale of Cinderella, hence the refernce to the pumpkin. Get it? If you think it is a simple puree soup, think again. Yes, it is a simple soup, but no, the regimen in making it is not. As you can see mine leaked because I did not realize I was trimming too much off the bottom of the pumpkin in order to make it stand. I also did not know one can actually 'save it' but it was too late by then. What a pity, the soup tasted OK as I followed the recipe to the last letter.

The Bisque de Crabe ie Bisque of Blue Swimmer Crabs was a most engaging exercise for the class as there were so many different steps along the way one must be very focused. This pureed crustacean beauty has 2 origins (1) the Bay of Biscay, but an even more interesting reference is (2) the French culinary term 'bis cuites' or 'twice cooked'. ' ... Crustaceans are to be lightly sauteed in their shells first, before simmering in wine & aromatics, and then pureed to a fine paste ...' I am amused by the remark of the late Julia Child, doyen of French Cooking in America ' ... do not wash anything until the bisque is done'. One can see how chefs value the ingredients. In the process we learned to prepare the very sweet crabs with mirepoix, white wine, fish stock, cream, beurre manie & brandy flambe! I was over the top with the 60% proof cooking brandy, so mush so my classmates can sniff my bisque 2 stations away. Verdict : ' ... nice taste, good color & texture, but Raymond, go light on the brandy next time ...' Yes, Chef!

Before I close Chef Vito demonstrated a Cold Borscht, what a visually attractive dish. All in all a great day, its time for bed!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment