Sunday, November 13, 2011

THE "AUSSIE"

Today is Sunday and the only commitment I have is an Aussie BBQ at Chef Donovan's home in the evening. I woke up late, slept for 8 hours non-stop which I seldom do and instead of the gym, I took a long walk in the afternoon. Australia has become expensive, not just because of her exchange rate with the HK$ ie A$1 to HK$8.2 but for the average consumer as well. I was shocked by prices at Coles Central, the Aussie answer to Wellcome & Park N Shop. Comparing grocery prices at supermarkets is my favorite past time in any city. I wonder how an average citizen can afford to live here, not to mention a 56% tax rate for the top salary earners. Then I was attracted by this pizza joint, Pepperoni's, offering A$2 specials at lunch time. What you see is the "Aussie" ... the pizza version of my signature at home, the Mini Breakfast. On a slice of pizza dough are; bacon strips, ham and an egg, I kid you not! I had one but while it was OK taste wise it did not taste anything like pizza. Why? The meats were overcooked and dry, so was the egg but the fatal flaw, they forgot the cheese. It is another proof of why adaptation to local tastes simply does not work. It may be worth mentioning in my blog as a warning but it is nothing to write home about. Do not bother!!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment