Thursday, November 10, 2011

ACCIDENTAL JUNIOR COMMIS

Wikipedia defines Commis as : " .... a basic chef in larger kitchens who work under a Chef de Partie to learn about the stations and operations, he or she may be a chef who has recently completed formal culinary training or is still undergoing training". Well, yours truly is at best a Junior Commis, and for that matter an Accidental Junior Commis who has the good fortune of landing at the right place, at the right time.

It was accidental when Donovan and I walked into each other's lives 7 years ago, it was also accidental 7 years hence when we meet again in Melbourne at his rated 'Talk-of-the-Town' restaurant. What is not accidental is the fond friendship and trust developed between us over the same period. The past 3 days at The Atlantic was an absolute eye opener for this 'wannabe' cook (not chef) who finds cooking for 12 at home a challenge. What rubbish! I feel so humbled, and terribly small now. It is amazing to watch the pace, the stamina, the team work, the dynamics and of course the sporadic temper flares. Here I am with the Boss, all smiles and relaxed at the end of lunch service, around 330pm today. I call this 'the eye of the storm' before the full fury of dinner traffic hits again 2 hours later. I am quietly preparing myself for 'baptism of fire' this weekend when 400+ are expected. By Sunday I hope to emerge a better kitchen hand than I am today.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: