Sunday, June 23, 2013

KAFER @ MUNICH

We love food stores of any variety, be it a Mom & Pop on 2nd Avenue in NYC, Harrod's in London, Peck in Milan, right down to local venues in Wanchai, at CitiSuper, Park & Shop etc. I am bored by shopping in general but I am never bored by food shopping, for anything, anywhere.  Food is arguably the best way to understand any culture, that is, to find out the why, the what and the how about food.  It was pouring in Munich that morning but equipped with raincoats and brollies we were on our quest for Kafer.

This up-market store is located in a quiet part of town, taking up 3 floors of a Germanic looking building. One can smell not only history, but $, as soon as one enters. It is like a mini Harrod's but with a maze of staircases and delightful hideaways supplying, in perfect Germanic order, just about anything you may ask for. Kafer is a much more impressive version of Peck in Milan, principally because of a wide array of international products, all the way to Origami party ideas!

Along the staircase I was intrigued by wonderful collages of old photographs on the Kafer family. They recorded life in the 20s & 30s in Munich, and the obvious question was ... were they Jewish, and if so, did they survive the Nazi regime?

If you are a foodie Kafer is a must-see, any concierge can direct you.  There is a small bistro on the ground floor ... just follow your nose, aroma of freshly brewed coffee, fragrance that can only come from well made patisserie ... satisfaction is guaranteed, I dare say.  

             

3 comments:

  1. hey raymond!!!!
    how are you.
    how have you been. hopefully you havent forgotten me. glad to see you are enjoying yourselves in travels and food.
    when might you be coming down to malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never forget you, Evans, and my other classmates at LCB. Yes, I do plan to visit KL soon, are you still in town? would love to see you in action, or are you not cooking anymore? ATB Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  3. for sure raymond just let me know when u want to come down. will try to free up my days when you are around
    unfortunately i do not cook anymore (professionally of course).
    i now manage a lounge and restaurant in Malaysia.

    do let me know your plans. my email still remains the same

    ReplyDelete